Important Wars and Battles in History (GK for Competitive)
1. Battle of Salamis (480 BC): The Greek fleet defeated the Persians.
2. Battle of Pharasalus (48 AD): Caesar defeated Pompey
3. The Crusades (11th – 13th Centuries): Military expeditions of the Christians in Western Europe to get back the Holy lands from Muslims; result; the Holy city remained with Turks.
4. Hundred Years War (1338-1453): Fought between France and England; came to an end by heroism of Joan of Arc who was burnt Alive.
5. Anglo – Spanish War of the Defeat of Spanish Armada (1588): The British fleet under Howard and Drake defeated the Spanish fleet Armada.
6. Battle of Gibralter Bay (1606-37): The Dutch defeated the Spaniards and the Portuguese.
7. Thirty Years War (1618-48): A politico-religious struggle; included Bohemian War; Danish War and Swedish War; result; Calvinism was finally granted recognition.
8. Seven Years of Anglo-French War III (1756-63): Fought by Britain and Prussia against Austria, France and later Russia; the Treaty of Paris brought an end to it.
9. Battle of Bunker Hill: The first battle of the War of American Independence; fought at Charlestown, Boston.